If your law firm practices personal injury law, you will quickly discover something shocking when you start your online marketing campaign with Google Adwords.
The costs of your main target keywords will cost an average of a few hundred dollars or more per click. Your location and local bidding competition will determine the actual cost, which can be more or less in the range of $50 to $500 per click.
Some expensive example keywords are:
- Car Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Attorney
- Car Accident Law Firm
- Personal Injury Lawyers
- Personal Injury Attorney
- Personal Injury Law Firm
Because Pay-Per-Click is so expensive, it makes the alternative of getting free organic traffic via SEO and Blogging a very attractive option.
The problem however is that everyone else is after that free organic traffic too. When it comes to Digital Marketing, doing SEO (Search Engine Optimization) for Personal Injury Law Firms is very competitive.
There is good news however, with proper planning, you can increase your exposure to gain more organic reach in Google and Bing. That plan will consist of building out your blog with valuable content while also following best practices for SEO.
Did you know? According to Hubspot, Marketers who prioritize blogging see a 13X ROI (rate of return) on their investment. When compared to how much money you could spend on a pay-per-click strategy, this is a fantastic ROI that will build up and increase even more with time.
The following steps for executing a Blogging and Personal Injury Law Firm SEO strategy do not need to be executed in any particular order. Whether you are the Marketing Manager or a Partner in your law firm, these steps will help give you a clear picture of what is required.
Step 1: A 100% Do-It-Yourself Approach Cannot Compete
If you are in charge of your law firm and practicing law at the same time, a 100% do-it-yourself approach will not work.
You can however be a big part of the process by helping to promote your firm’s website by networking with colleagues, promoting videos on YouTube and other Social Media platforms that you are active on.
Even if your firm has a Marketing Manager who can do these things for you, they will most likely still need assistance with creating blog content to prevent burnout.
The reason why is the following:
90% of the effort in a successful Personal Injury Lawyer SEO Campaign goes into creating high-quality content for your blog and website.
So instead of trying to create all the blog content yourself, your time is better spent in promoting your brand and outsourcing your blog content production.
When promoting your brand as a personal injury lawyer, you can leverage your blog’s content and your firm’s legal expertise to do the following promotional activities:
- Build relationships with local news sites and get interviews or opportunities to quote a featured news article.
- Network with the other small businesses in your local city.
- Be active in your Chamber of Commerce, Rotary, and other professional organizations in your area.
- Have members of your firm volunteer for local events to give back to the community.
The main takeaway for doing these activities is that it will help build relationships with other websites and business owners to exchange backlinks, this is your biggest contribution to your entire SEO campaign.
In addition to backlinks, according to Google, the number one ranking factor it looks for is relevant quality content, and content for your personal injury firm’s blog is no exception. This is why content creation should be a very focused effort that you should not try to multitask with the other marketing operations for your law firm.
Step 2: Produce At Least 50 or More Personal Injury Law Blog Articles
If you search for one of your most popular local keywords like “personal injury lawyer”, and then visit the top 3 organic results, you’ll notice something in common right away.
The top sites have an active and established blog with at least 50 or more articles.
Now, That number does not mean there is a magical number of blog articles you need to have to rank on the first page, it’s a starting point though. If you are competing for local search traffic in a big city, it’s very common to see your competition having hundreds of legal articles published.
So as a starting point, you’ll need to set a goal for publishing at least 50 blog articles, to even have a chance at competing in the long term. These legal blog articles should average 1,000 to 2,000 words in length and cover interesting topics your existing or new clients would want to know about.
Some example headlines can include things like:
- How To Get The Most Money From Your Car Accident
- How To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney
- What Teen Drivers Should Know After An Accident
- Who’s Liable In a Ride-Sharing Car Accident
- What Are a Passenger’s Rights After A Car Crash
By having a website full of quality legal articles, you’ll get more clicks and exposure from Google.
Step 3: Build Local Service Pages with Local Keywords You Want To Rank For
When it comes to legal services and localized SEO keywords, Google likes to target your homepage or a services page. The best strategy I know for setting this up is described below.
Build out separate optimized personal injury law service pages containing the service name with your city name. For example, “Car Accident Attorney” or “Motorcycle Accident Lawyer” are two popular keywords people search for (with the city name included.)
The name of your services pages should contain the keywords and be something like:
Then, on each services page, write all the details about how you can help your new prospect and get them to call or email you for help.
It’s important to fill out all the meta information for each service page on your website as well.
To further help optimize your website for local search, it also helps to add your Company Name and Address to your website’s footer page. This will help signal to Google what city to associate the local search terms with.
There is a powerful On-Page SEO technique that will tell Google those local service landing pages are important. You want to link to them from within the related articles on your blog. If you have a service page for motorcycle accidents, link to it in the article you have published about what someone should do if they are in a motorcycle accident.
Lastly, mention and link all of your legal services on your homepage and your website’s menu. For your most popular services, link to those pages in your footer too.
Step 4: Understand How Your Backlink Strategy Will Really Work
Don’t get caught up in the complexities of backlinking. Lots of SEO professionals will make backlinking sound like a complicated process.
The truth is, that you can generate most of your backlinks by having quality content.
In addition to quality content, just focus on relevant backlinks from sites within your industry and local city. You can obtain these links by spending your time promoting your law firm’s brand using some of the strategies we mentioned earlier in this article.
Relevant Backlinks will be more powerful in the long run than High Domain Authority ones that are not!
There are three powerful tactics for gaining backlinks I’d like to share with you.
- Is for you (or someone representing your law firm) to become a local legal expert in your area and answer questions that get published on other local websites, legal sites, legal blogs, and quality news sites. That site will link back to your firm’s website as the source.
- You can publish blog articles on a topic that would require an expert’s opinion. One popular type of blog article for producing expert content is called a “Round-Up” post. Essentially, you round-up a list of answers for a question that would require an expert’s opinion. A perfect example for an idea might be “What’s The Best Way To Hire A Personal Injury Lawyer”. To gather all the expert answers you’d need to outreach to each personal injury attorney out of your local area, so you don’t compete with each other. For each answer that is provided, you would then link back to the lawyer’s website. In return, ask them to share a link back to the article they were featured in on your site!
- A tool called Bright Local can also help you build citations and local links for various business review sites like Avvo, and Yelp, etc. Having these local profiles made will help add additional credibility and higher rankings for your website on Google.
Don’t forget, you can set up profiles on your social media accounts and link back to your website. You can also promote your blog’s articles on social media to increase your exposure and chances of being used as a reference in another article someone produces.
As you can see, there is nothing complex about any of these back-link-building strategies, it just takes a little time to execute them.
Step 5: Optimize Your Local Google Listing
Your Google Online Business Page is a huge asset for you to get first-page listings. It’s important that you keep the business information on it accurate and up to date.
Some of that important information includes:
- Claiming your business profile.
- Complete every section on your Google Business Account.
- Select your primary and secondary categories relating to legal services.
- Mark off all applicable attributes.
- Write a complete and interesting “from the business” description.
- Publish New Google posts weekly at a minimum.
- Upload new photos at least once per week.
- Answer questions from your customers.
- Collect and respond to all your reviews, even from the critics you have.
- Add all of your legal services.
- Set up messaging so you can receive messages.
- Maintain your Business Profile over the long term.
From this list, responding to customer reviews and regular engagement on your Google Business profile is key! We’ll discuss this further in the next section.
Step 6: Client Review Management and Reviews
Engage your brand organically online with client reviews. Not only is it good for your brand to have good reviews, but Google search will rank you higher if you have good reviews on your Google Business Listing, Yelp Page, Avvo, or any other review site your customers are using.
Most law firms utilize Bright Local to help manage online reviews with existing and previous clients. This tool is also great for doing your own in-house reputation management.
Step 7: Tracking Keywords, Popular Pages, and Conversions
There are many tools available for tracking the performance of your personal injury law SEO campaign.
For accurate SEO performance reporting, I like to use and highly recommend Agency Analytics
Getting all of these tools set up is a pretty straightforward process, and absolutely needs to be included to track the progress of an SEO Campaign.
Step 8: Giving The SEO Campaign Time To Build Up
Nothing good happens overnight. With all of the legal SEO campaigns my team and I have been a part of over the years one thing remains to be true. At a minimum, you should expect 6 months to see some results.
One Year is more realistic if your law firm is in a highly competitive area!
Google updates or trends in the legal industry will influence the direction and time of your campaign during the process.
Each campaign is different so it’s hard to put exact details in this article because everything is changing all the time. Just focus on the one thing you can control, producing quality content and providing your end user with a premium experience.
Step 9: Make Sure Your Website Has a Professional Looking UI Which Represents Your Brand
Your website is your number one marketing channel for your personal injury law firm.
It’s the number one marketing channel for your competition too.
So you want to make sure your website clearly represents the quality of personal injury legal services you are going to provide a prospective client who finds you in a web search or on social media.
If you think you need to redesign your website you can take the following steps:
- It’s best to study your competitors’ websites and write down what you like and don’t like about them.
- Then, work with a web design firm that has experience in legal websites and graphics which can help you create a new website that will represent your legal brand in the best light!
- You want a minimal easy-to-use website design for all the various computer devices your client may use to find you, this includes desktop, tablet, and mobile.
- It’s always best to have all of your copywriting and content layouts finalized before starting any design work. Your site is to help people find answers to their legal problems, so a content-first approach is required.
- Your new website needs to load fast and provide a good technical experience for people as well. Google does use the performance of your site as a ranking signal and you can research the term Technical SEO to find out more.
In this article, I wanted to lay out all the steps required for a successful SEO campaign for your personal injury law firm.
The key takeaway is that any SEO investment takes time to build up, in order to provide a return.
If you have any questions about Personal Injury Law Firm SEO, comment below or send me a message, I’d be glad to help you out.